Paul B. Paulus is the Distinguished University Professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Texas at Arlington. For the past 20 years he has been investigating the factors that influence group creativity. With Bernard Nijstad he edited the first scholarly volume on group creativity, and he has published over 60 papers and chapters on that topic and the related issue of team innovation. He has made numerous invited presentations to groups from the academic, business, engineering, and intelligence communities.
In addition to his teaching and research career, he has served as Chair of the Department of Psychology and Dean of the College of Science. He has been a visiting professor at Bar Ilan University, the University of Groningen, the University of Sidney, the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Group Processes
- Organizational Behavior
- Research Methods, Assessment
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Group Processes Research Laboratory
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Paulus, P. B., & Nijstad, B. A. (Eds.). (2003). Group creativity: Innovation through collaboration. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Nakui, T, Paulus, P. B. & van der Zee, K. I. (2011). The role of attitudes in reactions to diversity in work groups. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. 41, 2327-2351. 10.1111/j.1559-1816.2011.00818.x
- Putman, V. L., & Paulus, P. B. (2009). Brainstorming, brainstorming rules and decision making. Journal of Creative Behavior, 43, 23-39. doi: 10.1002/j.2162-6057.2009.tb01304.x.
- Paulus, P. B., & Yang, H. C. (2000). Idea generation in groups: A basis for creativity in organizations. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 82, 76-87. doi: 10.1006/obhd.2000.2888.
- Paulus, P. B., Korde, R. M., Dickson, J. J., Carmeli, A., Cohen-Meitar, R. (2015) Asynchronous brainstorming in an industrial setting: Exploratory studies. Human Factors, 57 (6), 1076–1094 DOI: 10.1177/0018720815570374
- Paulus, P. B., Nakui, T., Putman, V. L., & Brown, V. R. (2006). Effects of task instructions and brief breaks on brainstorming. Group Dynamics: Theory, research, and practice, 10, 206-219.
- Paulus, P. B., Levine, D. S., Brown, V. R., Minai, A. A., & Doboli, S. (2010). Modeling ideational creativity in groups: Connecting cognitive, neural, and computational approaches. Small Group Research, 41, 688-724. 10.1177/1046496410369561
- Paulus, P. B., Kohn, N. W., Arditti, L. & Korde, R. (2013). Understanding the group size effect in electronic brainstorming. Small Group Research, 44, 332-352.
- Paulus, P. B., Kohn, N. W., & Arditti, L. E. (2011). Effects of quantity and quality instructions on brainstorming. Journal of Creative Behavior, 45, 38-46. doi: 10.1002/j.2162-6057.2011.tb01083.x.
- Paulus, P. B., & Dzindolet, M. (2008). Social influence, creativity and innovation. Social Influence, 3, 228-247. 10.1080/15534510802341082
- Paulus, P. B., & Brown, V. R. (2007). Toward more creative and innovative group idea generation: A cognitive-social-motivational perspective of brainstorming. Social and Personality Compass, 1, 248-265.
- Kohn, N. W., Paulus, P. B., Choi, Y. (2011). Building on the ideas of others: An examination of the idea combination process. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 554-561. doi: 10.1016/j.jesp.2011.01.004.
- Dugosh, K. L., Paulus, P. B., Roland, E. J., & Yang, H-C. (2000). Cognitive stimulation in brainstorming. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 722-735.doi: 10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.522.
- Baruah, J., & Paulus, P. B. (2008). Effects of training on idea generation in groups. Small Group Research. 39, 523-541. 10.1177/1046496408320049
- Dugosh, K. L., & Paulus, P. B. (2005). Cognitive and social comparison processes in brainstorming. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 41, 313-320. doi: 10.1016/j.jesp.2004.05.009.
- Deuja, A., Kohn, N.W., Paulus, P. B., & Korde, R. (2014). Taking a broad perspective before brainstorming. Group Dynamics; Theory, Research, and Practice, 18(3), 222–236.
- Brown, V. R., & Paulus, P. B. (2002). Making group brainstorming more effective: Recommendations from an associative memory perspective. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 11, 208-212. doi: 10.1111/1467-8721.00202.
- Baruah, J. & Paulus, P. B. (2011). Category assignment and relatedness in the group ideation process. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 1070-1077. doi: 10.1016/j.jesp.2011.04.007.
- Paulus, P. B., Dzindolet, M. T. & Kohn, N. W. (2011). Collaborative creativity-Group creativity and team innovation. In M. D. Mumford (Ed.), Handbook of organizational creativity. (pp. 327-357). New York: Elsevier.
- Paulus, P. B., & Coskun, H. (2012). Group creativity. In J. M. Levine (Ed.), Group processes (pp. 215-239).. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
Department of Psychology
University of Texas at Arlington
Arlington, Texas 76019-0528
- Phone: (817) 272-1206